Friday, January 14, 2011

thoughts on caring, sharing, and obligation.

So, did anyone listen to the "Compassion by Command" podcast I wrote about earlier? Well, every week my home church (also known as a small group in some circles, and known as "you have to go to church twice a week - are you crazy?" by others) meets to discuss the previous sermon.  There was a hearty discussion as to whether or not there are "social systems" that contribute to inequality and that we ought to dismantly such systems, or whether all of the problems in the world can be chalked up to individual responsibility, and that there is no need to change systems, only individuals.  It's given me a lot to think about. I personally think we are all responsible as individuals for our actions, regardless of the hand we've been dealt. However, I also think that our sense of right and wrong is strongly influenced by our culture, and what may look like sinful behaviour in one culture might seem more acceptable elsewhere. 

I think that living in an individualistic society where singledom, or childlessness, or  small nuclear families are the most common living arrangements, impacts you differently and your decision making than if you lived in a society where extended families are common and many children are the norm. I think that living in a capitalist society is going to impact your view on how God wants you to use your finances in a different way than it would if you lived in a communist society.  I'm not saying that one particular situation is necessarily better or worse for all people, but it does colour your perception of the world around you and your sense of obligation to your fellow human beings. For example, living in Canada where health care is "free" I really feel no deep obligation to donate money to any cause health related (such as hospital funds or even medical research), I figure, hey I already pay half my taxes to health care - use that!  But, on the other hand,  when I was in Virginia and heard of fund-raising efforts to help individuals cover catastrophically expensive medical bills my heart broke.  I am not excusing my indifference here, I am just saying that I recognize that I am influenced by the social structure in terms of how I view my obligation to help.  In fact, maybe I am sinfully ignoring some important health needs in my community and my prejudice is stopping me from helping.  Then  I wonder, in what other areas does my comfortable existence blind me to the reality of suffering around me?  On the other hand, of what situations am I aware, that my friends might not recognize, and do I respond to that "ignorance" with love or with scorn?  To whom do I turn a blind eye when they are calling out hungry, lonely, ostracized, opressed? Whom, in turn, do I judge for not helping where I see a need?  The answers to these questions are probably as individual as we are!

I am trying to spend some time figuring out what things I feel God has called to do something about, but instead am finding it easier to ignore or run away from. I am trying to identify the excuses I make, those ones that usually begin with the words "everyone does..." or "nobody is expected to..." 

One other thing... in that same sermon, Greg Boyd defined affluence and poverty based on whether or not you had to worry about affording your basic needs. I know a lot of people who truly think that they can not afford to meet their basic needs, though in reality they have a very good income and have a lifestyle with many things beyond the basic needs. Whereas there are others who don't worry about money even though they are massively in debt and can't afford to pay it off. Which person is truly affluent?  I would say the first. So perhaps, this is not a good definition of affluence or poverty. In fact, perhaps, by convincing ourselves that we are NOT affluent, we likewise convince ourselves that we are not obligated to help others because we just can't afford to.   Worrying about money is dare-I-say a hallmark of being a responsible adult in our culture.   But what does Jesus say about itMatthew 6:25-34


I realize in proof-reading this entry that it is a grammatical mess, but my brain is not in the mood for editing. I hope you could follow what I was trying to say. 

Jennifer



p.s. more groceries: $7.41 + $13.01 + $60.14 plus $5.06 at BK for hubby; and $15.26 + $21.85 spent eating out ---all in one day! 

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I too feel overwhelmed at times: What am I ignoring? How can I possibly help on all the levels I see need help? I believe we have to go with our gifts and our passions. I can help on the level of maternity care, infant health and women's empowerment. My friend's passion is food and gardening and helps on the level of fresh affordable food baskets for the community. Some have the gift of networking and link community services to those who need it. Carpenters volunteer with habitat for humanity ect. All the while, write your local government about the issues that are close to your heart. If everyone gave some time towards 1 or 2 issues I believe as a whole this country would improve greatly.

    ReplyDelete